Woods to receive citation; FHP says case closed - SWX Right Now-Sports for Spokane, CdA, Tri-Cities, WA

More News - Tiger Woods

Woods to receive citation; FHP says case closed

Maj. Cindy Williams with the Florida Highway Patrol said Tiger Woods was at fault in the accident and that the case is closed. Maj. Cindy Williams with the Florida Highway Patrol said Tiger Woods was at fault in the accident and that the case is closed.

UPDATE: The Florida Highway Patrol said Tuesday the Tiger Woods case is closed.

Woods, who wrecked his SUV Friday morning outside his home will be cited for Careless Driving, but will not face any other charges, the FHP announced. 

The announcement was made in a terse news conference in Windermere, Fla. at 3 p.m. ET.  Speaking from the podium, Maj. Cindy Williams said the case was closed and that the department wasn't seeking any criminal charges against Woods. 

Maj. Williams said there was no evidence of domestic violence connected to the incident and that Woods complied with Florida state law by providing all necessary information, including his driver's license, proof of registration and insurance information.

Maj. Williams also said investigators treated Woods' case the same as any other, and that his celebrity status did not have any effect on the outcome.



Previous coverage:

WINDERMERE, Fla. - An attorney for the neighbors who dialed 911 after Tiger Woods' car crash last week says they saw no indication the golfer was beaten or driving under the influence.

Attorney Bill Sharpe said Tuesday that Linda Adams and her adult sons Jarius and Jerome Adams went outside their Orlando-area home after hearing the crash.

They found Woods' wife, Elin Nordegren, upset about her husband's injuries and she asked them to call 911. Sharpe says Woods appeared woozy and had scratches on his face.

Woods withdrew Monday from his own golf tournament, citing injuries from the crash Friday morning, when his SUV hit a fire hydrant and a tree.

The Adamses told Sharpe that Woods' wife was not holding a golf club. She told investigators she used a club to break a window to pull Woods from the SUV.


Woods withdraws from own golf tournament

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. - Tiger Woods has withdrawn from his own golf tournament after citing injuries from a car crash near his Florida home.

Woods said in a statement on his Web site Monday that injuries won't allow him to play in the Chevron World Challenge. He said he would return to competition next year.

"I am extremely disappointed that I will not be at my tournament this week," Woods said. "I am certain it will be an outstanding event and I'm very sorry that I can't be there."

His decision to withdraw comes after a car crash left him with cuts and bruises when his SUV hit a fire hydrant and a tree.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Woods released from Florida hospital (11/27/09)


ORLANDO, Fla. - Tiger Woods has been released from a Florida hospital, where he was taken after a car accident early Friday.
Authorities say his car struck a hydrant and a tree near his mansion in a gated waterfront community.
Although the Highway Patrol described his injuries as serious, a Woods spokesman says he was treated and released in good condition.
The highway patrol says the crash is still under investigation, and charges are pending. However, the highway patrol said the crash was not alcohol-related.

Police chief: Woods' wife helped after accident

A local police chief in Florida says Tiger Woods' wife used a golf club to smash out the back window and helped get the golfer out of the car.
Windermere Police Chief Daniel Saylor told The Associated Press on Friday that Elin Nordegren told officers she was in the house when she heard the accident and came outside. Saylor says officers found Woods laying in the street with his wife hovering over him.
Police say Woods hit a fire hydrant and part of a tree early Friday. Saylor says Woods was in and out of consciousness when his officers arrived.
Saylor says Woods had cuts on his lips and blood in his mouth. He says his officers gave him first aid until fire rescue came about 10 minutes later.
Saylor says his officers do not believe alcohol was involved.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 SWXRN. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.