Sept. 23, 2018
Sept. 23, 2018
UPDATED: 7:59 p.m.
UPDATED: 5:29 p.m.
Sept. 24, 2018
UPDATED: Mon., Sept. 24, 2018, 11:19 p.m.
Washington State’s Mike Leach declines to comment on Porter Gustin’s vicious hit, but suggests reporters take deeper dive
Mon., Sept. 24, 2018, 7:44 p.m.
UPDATED: Mon., Sept. 24, 2018, 9:39 p.m.
- Mike Leach was a Kyle Whittingham fan long before Washington State, Utah became Pac-12 rivals
- Washington State’s Mike Leach declines to comment on Porter Gustin’s vicious hit, but suggests reporters take deeper dive
- Pac-12 announces kickoff time for Oct. 6 battle between Washington State and Oregon State
- First look: Utah at Washington State
- Analysis: Washington State could’ve used mulligan three times during final drive of narrow loss to USC
John Blanchette: Eastern Washington proves its ground game is plenty potent in throttling of Cal Poly
UPDATED: Sat., Sept. 22, 2018, 8:22 p.m.
- Defensive touchdowns, return of Antoine Custer Jr. leads Eastern Washington to 70-17 rout of Cal Poly
- Eastern Washington notebook: Ex-Cal Poly coach Eti Ena’s defensive ends step up to slow Mustang rushing attack
- Eastern Washington ready for Joe Protheroe, Cal Poly’s triple-option
- Eastern Washington Hall of Fame inductees Jeff Ogden, Rick Worman laid the groundwork for Eagles’ high-octane offense
- Eastern Washington football notebook: Running game still effective without standout Antoine Custer
UPDATED: Sat., Sept. 22, 2018, 9:45 p.m.
- Idaho expects trickery from UC Davis in Big Sky opener for both teams
- New ‘caretaker’ Pete Isakson plots course for Idaho athletics
- Idaho uses second-half surge to top Western New Mexico for first win of season
- Idaho football hopes to bounce back quickly against Western New Mexico
- Denzal Brantley, Jalen Hoover ‘quarterbacks of the defense’ for the Idaho Vandals
UPDATED: Mon., Sept. 24, 2018, 12:57 p.m.
- This time, Carroll keeps the pedal down on ‘gassed’ Carson
- Russell Wilson throws for two TDs, Earl Thomas picks two passes in Seahawks’ win over Cowboys
- Seahawks look like a team in disarray as Cowboys arrive for home opener
- Earl Thomas doesn’t practice; Ethan Pocic out for Seahawks
- Seahawks’ Bobby Wagner says he’s learned from previous injuries
Mon., Sept. 24, 2018, 10:11 p.m.
- Morning prep roundup: Emma Scott’s seventh-minute goal gives Cheney win over Mt. Spokane
- Cross country roundup: Caleb Lloyd, Mead win Nike Battle for the 509
- Prep volleyball roundup: Jenna Couch dished out 25 assists and Selkirk beat Odessa
- Girls soccer roundup: Sarah Hines’ hat trick plenty for Coeur d’Alene Charter in win over Kellogg
- Hunter Chodorowski bears the burden as Central Valley tops Mt. Spokane 31-14
UPDATED: Sat., Sept. 15, 2018, 7:37 p.m.
- Whitworth closes out nonconference play with tough test against Chapman
- Whitworth wide receiver Garrett McKay turns after-hours work into on-field success
- Leif Ericksen takes over Whitworth offense in season-opening rout of La Verne
- New-look Whitworth welcomes La Verne to the Pine Bowl in season opener
- Casting call: Quarterback still a question mark for Whitworth team with high expectations
UPDATED: Sun., Sept. 23, 2018, 5:29 p.m.
- Gonzaga basketball in wait-and-see mode with NCAA rules changes
- Gonzaga adds to 2019 recruiting class with Martynas Arlauskas, a 6-foot-7 wing from Lithuania
- Gonzaga’s Rui Hachimura scores 25 points in Japan’s World Cup victory
- Former Gonzaga teammates Kelly Olynyk and Kevin Pangos lead Canada past Brazil
- Gonzaga’s Rui Hachimura, former Zag Ira Brown spark Japan’s World Cup win
UPDATED: Mon., Sept. 24, 2018, 11:19 p.m.
- Seattle Mariners’ Felix Hernandez becomes US citizen
- Adrian Beltre cheered in possible Texas finale, a 6-1 win vs Mariners
- Out of Right Field: Placing the blame on another playoff-less Seattle Mariners season
- Mariners eliminated from playoff race despite 13-0 rout of Rangers
- Adrian Beltre shines as Rangers top Mariners 8-3 in rain-shortened game
UPDATED: Sat., Sept. 22, 2018, 10:35 p.m.
- Spokane Chiefs forward Jake McGrew signs entry-level contract with San Jose Sharks
- Spokane Chiefs have high expectations as new Western Hockey League campaign begins
- Spokane Chiefs take to fresh ice at Spokane Arena
- Ethan McIndoe, Jack Finley score twice apiece as Spokane Chiefs wrap up preseason with win
- Spokane Chiefs release 16-year-old goaltender Campbell Arnold from active roster
UPDATED: Sat., Sept. 22, 2018, 11:04 p.m.
- Arizona State travels to No. 10 Washington in Pac-12 opener
- An inside look at Chris Petersen and Washington’s somewhat cantankerous relationship with ESPN
- No. 10 Washington shuts down Utah in 21-7 victory
- No. 10 Washington opens Pac-12 play against tough Utah team
- Washington safety Taylor Rapp has long been wreaking havoc in the secondary. Now he’s doing it in the backfield too
Wed., Sept. 5, 2018, 5 a.m.
- Gonzaga women to open Vancouver Showcase against defending national champion Notre Dame
- Visit from Stanford highlights nonconference schedule for Gonzaga women’s basketball
- Change in West Coast Conference scheduling makes travel plans easier for Gonzaga women’s basketball
- Courtney Vandersloot has taken her game, leadership skills from Gonzaga to the WNBA
- Former Gonzaga guard Emma Stach signs professional contract in Germany
Sun., Sept. 23, 2018, 8:41 p.m.
- Sounders to face a very different, desperate Galaxy side in critical late-season matchup
- Union ends Sounders’ win streak on Picault’s late goal, 1-0
- Sounders win 9th straight, beating Whitecaps 2-1
- Casacadia Cup, 8-match win streak on line for Sounders in Vancouver
- Sounders win 8th straight, rallying to beat Sporting KC 3-1
John Blanchette: Handing the ball to Marshawn Lynch in Super Bowl XLIX turns the Seahawks into an unstoppable dynasty – or he’s stopped short
Sun., Aug. 12, 2018, 5 a.m.
- Shawn Vestal: Looking at the great ‘what if’ had Evel Knievel landed the Snake River Canyon jump
- John Blanchette: Looking at the great ‘what if’ had the Spokane Indians remained a Triple-A team
- Jess Walter: Looking at the great ‘what if’ had the SuperSonics stayed in Seattle
- Ralph Walter: Magic of ‘What if’ keeps SuperSonics in Seattle, gives Gonzaga a football team
Mon., Sept. 24, 2018, 10:46 p.m.
- MLB capsules: A’s wait; Phils, Pirates, D-Backs out; Gregorius hurt
- Atlanta Braves clinch N.L. East; N.Y. Yankees claim A.L. wild card spot
- Yankees clinch wild card with 3-2, 11-inning win over Orioles
- Atlanta Braves clinch first N.L. East crown since 2013
- MLB capsules: Houston Astros clinch postseason berth
UPDATED: Mon., Sept. 24, 2018, 10:14 p.m.
- new Grizzlies get back U.S. protections, Rockies hunts blocked
- Relive the glory of summer in Spokane with collection of best reader photos from 2018
- Controversy heats up over removal of Lower Snake River dams as orcas suffer losses
- New Spokane photo school answers call for wannabe nature photographers
- Ammi Midstokke: Knitting season arrives with misguided optimism
Mon., Sept. 24, 2018, 6:02 p.m.
- Jess McDonald’s 2 goals lead Courage to 3-0 win over the Thorns
- MLS Capsules: Zlatan Ibrahimovic scores 500th worldwide goal; Galaxy fall
- Tyler Adams scores 1st goal to give U.S. 1-0 win over Mexico
- Neymar leads Brazil past U.S. before sparse crowd
- U.S. and Sounders striker Clint Dempsey retires from soccer
UPDATED: Tue., Aug. 28, 2018, 5 p.m.
- Washington State elevates Tim Marrion to assistant coach
- Washington State learns Pac-12 basketball pairings
- Ike Iroegbu becomes second ex-Washington State player to join German club Science City Jena
- Washington State to take part in pre-Christmas Continental Tire Las Vegas Classic
- Sacramento Kings add ex-Washington State guard Ike Iroegbu to Summer League roster
Mon., July 30, 2018, 10:27 p.m.
- Big Sky goes back to 20-game conference basketball schedule
- Ex-Gonzaga guard Jordan Mathews works to stay in NBA after summer league with the Los Angeles Clippers
- Former Eastern Washington star Bogdan Bliznyuk signs with Israel club
- Former Eastern Washington sensation Jacob Wiley works hard to secure spot on Dallas Mavericks roster
- Former Eastern Washington star Jacob Wiley joins Dallas Mavericks’ NBA Summer League team
UPDATED: Thu., Sept. 13, 2018, 8:22 p.m.
- Idaho athletics trying to balance revenue shortfall, leadership uncertainty with new arena project on the horizon
- Former Idaho guard Victor Sanders will play professionally in Belgium
- Big Sky goes back to 20-game conference basketball schedule
- Jeff Ledbetter takes scenic route from Idaho Vandals to San Antonio Spurs’ Summer League team
- Former Idaho star Victor Sanders stays positive despite lack of playing time at summer league
Mon., March 19, 2018, 11:03 p.m.
- Washington men hold off Boise State in first round of NIT
- Washington Huskies land NIT invite, will host Boise State
- Oregon State defeats Washington in overtime in Pac-12 Tournament opener
- Washington’s Mike Hopkins wins Pac-12 Coach of the Year award
- Noah Dickerson helps Washington edge Oregon State 79-77
Thu., Sept. 13, 2018, 3:19 p.m.
- Loyola celebrity nun Sister Jean celebrating 99th birthday
- Former Gonzaga walk-on Rem Bakamus back in game as Baylor graduate assistant
- UConn greats expect program to climb back to elite status
- Wake Forest places basketball assistant on leave after fatal punch
- NCAA adopts college basketball reforms for draft, recruiting
Sun., Sept. 23, 2018, 10:21 p.m.
- U.S. beats Senegal 87-67 in World Cup opener
- Sue Bird highlights U.S. women’s world cup roster
- Mood electric as Seattle Storm, fans celebrate third WNBA title
- Larry Stone: Breanna Stewart is the MVP, but Sue Bird remains heart and soul of the Storm’s latest title-winning team
- Former Gonzaga guard Courtney Vandersloot selected to All-WNBA second team, Storm’s Breanna Stewart named to first team
Tue., Sept. 25, 2018, 10 a.m.
- Area roundup: EWU picks up first Big Sky soccer win of season
- College soccer: Community Colleges of Spokane men tie for first place with victory
- College cross country: Community Colleges of Spokane’s Micaela Kostecka places second at Ken Garland Classic
- College volleyball: Community Colleges of Spokane withstands big challenge, preserves unbeaten record
- Locally: Central Valley grad Taryn Miller one of 30 candidates for women’s soccer Senior CLASS Award
Sat., Sept. 22, 2018, 5:42 p.m.
- Demitrius Kigeya’s late goal gives Gonzaga men’s soccer win at Sacramento State
- Soccer: Zags women in scoreless draw while men lose 2-0
- Gonzaga volleyball drops final match at Arizona State’s Sparky Classic
- College cross country: Gonzaga’s James Mwaura, Washington State’s Emma Jenkins lead way at Cougar Classic
- Oral Roberts powers past Gonzaga in men’s soccer behind Dante Brigida’s hat trick
Mon., Sept. 24, 2018, 9:21 p.m.
- 49ers lose QB Jimmy Garoppolo to season-ending knee injury
- Tommy McDonald, speedy Hall of Fame receiver, dies at 84
- NFL capsules: Allen and underdog Bills stun Vikings 27-6
- Seahawks’ next opponent: Cardinals facing QB quandary after loss to Bears
- Won, won and won! Cleveland Browns beat Jets for first win since 2016
Sun., Sept. 23, 2018, 8:30 p.m.
- Pac-12 roundup: No. 7 Stanford rallies for 38-31 OT win over No. 20 Oregon
- Top 25 roundup: Old Dominion stuns 13th-ranked Virginia Tech 49-35
- Investigation finds Maryland culpable in death of football player Jordan McNair
- Huskers fill out schedule against Bethune-Cookman on Oct. 27
- AP Top 25: LSU jumps to No. 6; Wisconsin tumbles from top 10
Tue., Sept. 25, 2018, 9:39 a.m.
- Welcome to camp: NBA teams starting their new seasons
- AP Source: Karl-Anthony Towns getting $190 million extension from Wolves
- From G League to GM, 76ers turn franchise over to Elton Brand
- Mavs owner Mark Cuban donates $10M after workplace probe
- Russell Westbrook has procedure on knee; status for opener in doubt
Mon., Sept. 24, 2018, 4:12 p.m.
- Devils sign Miles Wood to 4-year contract, $11 million deal
- Canadiens’ Max Domi suspended for preseason for punching Aaron Ekblad
- Sharks acquire Erik Karlsson from Senators
- Stars All-Star center Tyler Seguin signs $78.8M, 8-year extension
- Blue Jackets sign John Tortorella to 2-year contract extension
UPDATED: Sat., Sept. 22, 2018, 8:30 p.m.
- NASCAR makes another change at top with new president
- Auto racing roundup: Brad Keselowski wins NASCAR playoff opener, gets 500th win for Roger Penske
- Ross Chastain earns 1st Xfinity win, holding off Justin Allgaier
- Brad Keselowski wins Brickyard 400, makes it a Penske sweep at Indianapolis
- Final regular season NASCAR race postponed by rain at Indy
UPDATED: Tue., Sept. 11, 2018, 11:05 p.m.
- Eugene limits Spokane Indians to 4 hits, takes 2-0 lead in NWLCS
- Levi Jordan’s late homer lifts Eugene over Spokane Indians in Game 1 of NWLCS
- Spokane Indians, Eugene Emeralds produce surprising Northwest League championship matchup
- Chi Chi Gonzalez helps Spokane Indians earn spot in Northwest League championship series
- Big inning dooms Spokane Indians in Game 2 loss to Everett AquaSox in Northwest League division series
UPDATED: Sun., Sept. 23, 2018, 6:49 p.m.
- Steve Stricker wins Champions Tour’s Sanford International
- Tiger Woods with 3-shot lead and 1 round away from winning
- Steve Stricker, Brandt Jobe tied for Sanford International in Sioux Falls
- Tiger Woods shares lead going into weekend at East Lake
- Tiger Woods returns to Tour Championship with share of lead
Sat., Sept. 22, 2018, 10:21 p.m.
- Scoreboard: College football
- Northern Colorado edges Montana women's soccer team in double overtime
- Griz grades: Stars, position breakdowns of No. 19 Montana's win over Sacramento State
- Griz notebook: New play dashes Sac State defense, Sulser shines with first touch, Dave Dickenson honored
- After big game, Montana's Dalton Sneed expects more pressure, Grizzlies prepare for Cal Poly Mustangs